Whether we like it or we don’t like it, social media is the wave of the future. Everything we do and say is going to be on the Internet. Social media sites provide business owners with an important new channel of communication to new prospects and existing customers alike, and it means that we can expose our business to people who we would never have the opportunity or ability to reach and to market to.
Facebook is one of many social media communities, an internet phenomenon that is spanning the planet. But it is the biggest of them now.
The debate as to whether Facebook is the place to be if you are in business is over.
Facebook now has as much or more traffic than Google itself, and provides new opportunities for us to find new customers.
So we, as business owners, must make the very most of it. But we must have a strategy for social media marketing for the best results.
1. Create a neat page. You don’t have to fill out everything, but fill out at least the most important information in the profile section. Also, include a picture. People like seeing that they’re dealing with an actual person or business and not just some faceless company.
2. Keep your business profile separate from your personal one. Don’t go following your favorite bands or befriend your real life friends on Facebook with your business account. It’s okay to have a bit of fun with your business profile, but don’t forget its main purpose of marketing.
3. Make plans about what you’re going to say. What are you trying to accomplish? How can you make your page unique? How can you get the right audience interested in your page? How will you respond to criticism? To praise? Be strategic!
4. Brand your identity. You can now brand and theme your Facebook page similar to that of your website. Use the same logos and graphics, although you shouldn’t go overboard with them. Too many graphics will make your page difficult to load.
Create an Opt-in on your Facebook page to get followers contact details and all of a sudden you have another lead generation strategy for your business.
5. Interact with others. Participate in discussion and always give friendly, knowledgeable replies. Join clubs relating to your niche and offer suggestions and tips. Whenever somebody asks a question, offer a thoughtful answer.
If somebody says something you disagree with, let them know in a friendly manner, and provide a well-thought out reply as to why you do.
6. You’ll probably have to deal with some negativity. People can question your intentions at any time. Always be patient with your critics and deal with them in a professional and friendly manner. Don’t expect to always satisfy everyone. What you can do is maintain a positive image for your brand.
7. Try encouraging your fans to talk. Offer polls and surveys, asking your fans what they do and do not like about your niche. Try starting new topics such as ‘top 10 reasons why’ or ‘learn how to’ and then ask others to share their tips and ideas.
8. Keep everybody up-to-date with offers. Online communities need to be active, and one of the best ways to stay active on Facebook is to offer coupons and special deals on a regular basis. Also, having updates about discounts on your page will entice new visitors to follow you!
9. Hire a professional to create an app and offer it on your page. People really love apps, and your fans will even share them with their friends! Fun applications are a great way to attract attention on Facebook. You should be able to find a developer who charges fair rates.
10. Be consistent with your efforts. Log on every single day and post something! Even if you don’t have any updates, log on and participate in discussion. If you don’t get on Facebook every day and share tips, ideas, etc., people will forget about you. Also, don’t forget to use important keywords in your posts!